For the most part this blog is a family blog. I blog about my life with Q. I write stories and post pictures of the cuteness that is Gooner. I haven't posted daily on what I eat and how many calories I consume. I often wonder if I DID post what I ate if you would even care that I eat oatmeal for breakfast most every day. Today while cruising blogs I found one woman's guide to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle; I was so encouraged. I found her before, during and a future after photo super encouraging. So many women struggle with their weight and yet somehow weight loss can be lonely. The truth of it is, even with loads of support from Q, it is ME who must make good food choices. I must make the decision to eat better. And that can cause stress. It is stressful to see a cookie on the counter and then begin waging an inner battle. Why did I make cookies in the first place? So you fight with yourself for AT LEAST AN HOUR. Angry that weight loss is RIDICULOUS you grab the cookie and eat it. Quickly. And then you feel guilty. And you feel bad. And you feel fat and you wonder if the journey is really worth it anyway...because you had a baby and you have stretch marks and you aren't going to be wearing a bikini EVER again so please just one more cookie. At this point you ate the cookie so fast that you didn't receive that gratification that you were CERTAIN would follow if you partook.
I've been there folks. I have SO been there. And as my cooking changes and my shopping changes LIFE has gotten easier. Really and truly. For me:
Tip #1: Don't buy it. I'm talking REALLY shave things down. I like to bake. I like to eat what I bake. Carb overload. SO, I ONLY buy enough butter for the week of cooking. I normally cook with olive oil, but crusts and the such NEED butter. It is hard to make oatmeal cookies if you don't have any butter.
Tip #2: Try new recipes. The old Betty Crocker cook book is NOT your best friend. Those recipes are so full of fat and all sorts of hidden bad things. SOOOOO not good for you.
Tip #3: Mix cardio WITH weights. My goal has been to work out 6 days a week to promote a healthy ACTIVE lifestyle. This has been falling short because Saturday seems to catch up with me and poof, my day is GONE. In order to fix this dilemma Q and I have begun running Tues, Thurs and SATURDAY. This frees me up for weights on Mon, Wed and Friday! Woot Woot!
I have more tips BUT I think that is enough now anyway...
11 comments:
Yes, I am totally in your camp when it comes to not buying junk. If it's not in the house, duh, you're not going to eat it! Plus, I like to pretend that I'm saving money by not buying junk food...but in reality, unfortunately, healthy food is more expensive. What's up with that anyway? Wouldn't there be a much lower obesity rate if good food was affordable? Seriously. Guess nobody asked me opinion :)
Totally agree with you - don't buy it! I'm the world's worst at eating cookies - seriously, if it's in the house, it will last 2.5 seconds before it goes in my mouth. Thus, you will hardly ever find ANY junk food in my house. My mother never bought the stuff when we were growing up - mostly, because we were poorer than dirt... So, I don't feel the need to buy the stuff now.
BUT, when I'm PMSing or having a craptacular day, I really want a dang cookie and we usually either go eat out somewhere or make a run to Kroger for junk food! LOL That happened this week to be exact!
Btw, way to go on making healthy choices for you and your family!
good tips and thoughts!
I find everyday to be a battle to make good choices. I too go on the theory of don't buy it you won't eat it. What makes it difficult is like what Kaley said it costs more to make those healthier choices. And we toss in a hubby who dislikes his job and whats to come home and EAT!!!
great tips - like your blog :)
Even if no one comments on what you are eating, you are documenting what you eat. It holds you accountable for the calories and such that are going into your body. It's your blog, write what you will!
such fabulous tips!!! #1 is really awesome because you save money and calories!!! oh, and you are so right about weights and cardio... i usually skip the weights because they bug me, but it really helps burn calories! cheers to healthy eating and an active lifestyle!!! have a beautiful weekend, beautiful!
I couldn't agree with you more, weightloss is SO lonely and SO frustrating!! I think what makes it lonely is because of that internal struggle and how shameful it can be. Grrr!!! Thanks once again for writing about this. I would love to hear more about what you eat. i am in such a food funk. I get so bored.
PS game back on!! I will email you!
Ugh, thanks for the tips and reminders. I am always so motivated by you!
Oh. I need to exercise more. *sigh*
Taylor
http://thelumberjackswife.wordpress.com
Love your tips! It's all about a lifestyle change instead of the temporary decisions!!
Post a Comment