Taste of... was today. I THOUGHT it was going to be fun...even with an ELEVEN month old. Mom, Gooner and I loaded the car with an umbrella stroller, snacks for Gooner and other necessities that this toddler needed. We dressed up, did our hair, and genuinely looked cute. This stay at home Mama was gussied up and ready to enjoy the festivities.
First off, it was NOT festive. It was a beautiful day, but my heart sank as we neared the door. We made it into the vestibule and there we waited. And waited. Meanwhile EVERYONE and their brother tripped over my little girl in her gray umbrella stroller -with her pig tailed head tipped up and wide eyes - she was CLEARLY asking me what I was putting her through. All she could see were knees and butts. Gah.
We then pranced, through the silent auction. (All proceeds went towards a local non profit) My Mom had donated an AWESOME Texas quilt to auction and we had to check out its success.
Last year her quilt brought in 700 dollars so she's pretty amazing. We left before the auction was over, so we don't have a final count on what this baby brought in.
Time to eat, or should I say stand in line. Last year I was pregnant for this event and let me tell you, having her IN was easier than having her OUT. People had so much trouble NOT tripping over her. She wanted to cry...her little lip popped out and her eyes filled up. Poor thing, nothing that a cup of apple juice that I'd packed wouldn't fix!
At this point we had plates full of food and were ready to find a seat. ALL the seats were taken except the ones RIGHT BY the auctioneer. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat. It was SO LOUD and ridiculous. Also, there was this charities version of a Vanna White. Only THIS one was a slightly overweight, dyed blonde, breasts heaving, woman dallying around wearing jewelry to auction. She was tan and beautiful though. And she wasn't really overweight, I think her dress was just a size too small and when you stuff a size 6 into a size 4 you LOOK like a size 10. Just sayin'....dress your size and you'll look extra fabulous. A fun time was NOT had by all. Gooner was a champ. She sat and ate cheerios and shepherd's pie to her hearts content. But it was loud and all came away with a head ache.
I don't think we will go back next year. There were SO MANY PEOPLE!!! It was nice to try all the different foods from restaurants around the area. I tried a wonderful jalapeno and cilantro soup that I probably would NEVER have tried, yet at the same time I had more fat than this gallbladderless lady could handle. My tummy cramped up, AGAIN.
12 comments:
Aww, bummer! Sorry it was a bust!
I hate it when those local festivities turn out to be a mega fail. But seriously? dress your size and you'll look extra fabulous... BEST LINE EVER. For real. Heaving bosoms are not attractive, even if they are tan. Hear ye, hear ye peoples of the land.
Hope your gallbladderless self feels better soon.
Aw, such a bummer when things you excitedly anticipate end up being sucky. I love your wisdom tho--"dress your size!!" A-men! :-) Glad Gooner was a trooper for ya.
Sorry it didn't go so well!
Strollers are such a PAIN in big crowds! I always wear Ellie if I think that there's any chance we'll be in line for more than a couple of minutes. She likes to be rolling and if the stroller stops for too long, she's going to try her best to climb out. Sorry that your festival wasn't festive.
Beautiful quilt! But bummer it was a lame festival, but at least they had good food. sorry it made you icky again though. that is no fun im sure!
i love the comment about the right size. I think I have been guilty of trying to squeeze into a smaller size too but only really at starbucks because I refused to buy pants to get all nasty.
No fun!!
But, wow that is amazing how much your mom's quilt brought in before!
Your mom is amazing. Yep. I'm sure of it. Sitting next to the auctioneer sounds like some version of hell, though. Sorry it wasn't great.
We have a local festival coming up soon - Toad Suck Daze. Yes, it's a crazy name! LOL But, we usually head downtown to the festival for a few hours to eat the food and then head home. It's just way too crowded to actually enjoy seeing the local crafts.
Beautiful quilt! I hate being stuck in large crowds with a little girl. I never really had trouble dressing my size until I had JUST had a baby, and I REALLY wanted to be back in my old clothes and not have to buy new ones... oh, and after our cruise when I gained weight and needed to fit into the clothes that fit beforehand... blahh...
That's a great quilt! I'm sorry the day ended on a bad note with your stomach problems! Hang in there.
such a cute quilt!
Post a Comment