Friday, March 12, 2010
The Perfect Pediatrician
doesn't exist. I had some questions, Questions, I tell you. I wasn't completely against vaccines, I just had some QUESTIONS.
The pediatrician told me that vaccinations were NOT up for debate and if I was "considering NOT getting Gooner her appropriate vaccinations" to "go ahead and find another pediatrician."
Great, just great. I was a BIT put off by this statement and so at sequential appointments I did NOT ask any questions. Plus, I have bing, google, my Mom, sister, friends... to ask. So, at her 4 month appointment when he asked us if we had any questions I answered with a resounding, "no." His response:
"you must be the Mom that knows everything then."
Um what? What's that you say? Are you being rude just now? So, I haven't taken Gooner to the Dr. since her 4 month apt. BUT, I made an appointment yesterday for her 9 month apt. Hopefully this NEW Dr. will be better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
What a jerk! Seriously, you should've spoken up. But then again, I've spoken up too many times this week.....Don't listen to me.
No, he didn't! How rude! I hope things go well with the new Dr.! Have a Great Day!;-)
And I (Grandma) was there and witnessed it. We really didn't have any questions at that point. We know how to dial the phone if something comes up!!!!!
Findinig good, caring doctors can be so hard. Hope it goes well!
oh man! That is lousy-ness. I'm annoyed on your behalf.
I recently went to a lady doctor, you know the kind, and I was put off because her hair was a mess and she had cat hair all over her tush. I would like my doctors to at the least, appear, to have good hygiene. The one before her was condescending and pompous so I am not going back to him either. Basically I am just saying know the difficulty with finding the right doc. I can't imagine how much more frustrating it would be as a mother.
Ugh!! I am so feeling you on this one. My ped never lets me talk or just ignores me. And he insists kids do not have allergies - which I TOTALLY disagree with. I have tried a few of the other peds in the office and those visits have not turned out well. You should definetly find some sites to report his treatment of you so at least other moms looking for a ped knows. Or even the BBB. Good luck!!
I LOVE all the doctors in my girls practice! Wish you could go there!
Oh no, I woulda been LIVID! He sounds like a major jerk - and not like he is fit to be a caring, helpful pediatrician at all! Hope your new doc is a million times better :)
Now that is just awful! That person should not be a Dr.
Hope your new Dr. is better.
YUCK!!! I cannot believe that a dr said that!
I really loved Maggie's pediatrician in the old town. We ALWAYS discussed which vaccines were "necessary"(but still optional) and which were completely optional. The new dr just sends the nurse in with ALL of the vaccines.
Good luck with the new dr.
Yikes! I would've switched Doctors too. Our pediatrician was really great at P's last appointment. He spent almost an hour with us, answering various allergy questions, etc. He is very open to postponing shots, etc. I have a great book that talks in depth about the 4 A's...Allergies, Autism, Asthma, and (?) and how they can be connected to vaccines for SOME kiddos, especially if you have one that has battled at least one of the 4 A's. I want to study the book more in depth, but I think for our next lil' one we'll follow the vaccination schedule listed in the back of the book. The shots begin at 6 months. Sorry for the novel...this is something that has been on my mind! ;o)
how unfortunate! I'm appalled, because you should never be made to feel stupid or ashamed to ask questions! I had the opportunity to work with some amazing pediatricians, that were very open to parents and their question or concerns (especially regarding vaccines!). Problem for you is that they are in new mexico! I know you will find a great pediatrician. Definitely ask around and I wish you luck in her upcoming appt! let us know how it goes!
For what it's worth, a good pediatrician will listen to your concerns (especially about vaccines), provide resources for you to go to and learn more, while explaining their recommendations, and work with you to do what in the end is right for YOUR child. Every baby is different!
i've switched pediatricians 4 times, but i finally found one i love!!! keep looking--there are some good ones out there!
seriously! completely inappropriate.
Wow! Talk about rude!!!
When they make remarks like that with no remorse or without thinking , it's time to find somewhere else.
I've had my share of insensitive doctors, but I've also had some AMAZING ones. Things will get better! You don't have to settle.
I forgot to add that you can rate your experience with that doctor on http://www.healthgrades.com/
Here's another place http://www.vitals.com/
I've done this before. At least it will let others know what kind of person they're dealing with. You can also use this site to look at patient reviews of a particular doctor if you know their name. I've found this helpful when looking for a new specialist, general doctor, etc.
ha! you can't win, can you? i always forget whatever questions i need to ask when we see the doc. but then of course remember right after we leave. thank goodness for the internet!
PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!!!!!!! Seriously, who says that kinda crap?
Just for the record, I have found the perfect pediatrician. I want to duplicate her for you, put her in a box with a pretty box and mail her to you. No, but really, I say all the time that I wish she was in my family somehow. I flippin love the woman.
Don't loose hope. Somewhere outthere is a good doctor.
Boo. You know what I think about all this already. I hope the new one you've found has better manners! Love the pic of Gooner and her Daddy, too sweet!
That sounds horrible! I can't believe he would talk to you like that. It does make me even more thankful for our pediatrician - he's a really soft spoken, calm man who sits on his stool and answers question after question from me, we're never rushed. I so hope that you like your next doc and find the right relationship for you and your little Gooner!
I so wish I could come down and visit, but from now until May I have a shower everyother weekend and I barely can make the 3 hour trip to KC without stopping 5 times to pee. i think it would take me 3 days to make it :) miss you and i too wish we both weren't so busy in dc so we could have hung out more. boo.
I told my Mom about this and she wants you to report him. I'm not sure to who, but that's what she said! I'm just in disbelief at the things that get said to you! Ridiculous.
Post a Comment