Monday, January 4, 2010

The Beauty of Joint Understanding

Q and I have a great relationship. We do. We haven't been married all that long, yet at times we feel mile stones farther than some couples. For example - the gym. Oh the gym, the woes or blessings of working out as a couple. MOST successful couples that workout together hinge on one thing: going together and then "doing your own thing." While I do the elliptical Q benches, or does something else manly. When he needs a break, he takes his handsome self over to me at the elliptical and asks me how it's going. He then uses my towel to wipe off some sweat, I swat at him, he leaves, and all the other ladies stare at MY MAN. BUT he never, NEVER gives unsolicited advice. If I ask, he assists on my form; if my tricep pulldowns are wild, he assists. He NEVER says anything unless it is encouraging. That being said, let me rewind to what happened to yesterday with a couple working out...

As it was January 2nd the gym was CRAWLING with newbies. Couples, joined with the desire to lose love handles and Christmas dinner, signed contracts and promised to work out. While I worked my triceps, a woman next to me was struggling with bicep curls as her husband looked on.

Him: You don't have enough weight, you need to add more.
Her: I'm fine, it's enough, I can feel it.
Him: Look, you aren't even trying! Add more weight.
Her. Givng the stink eye, "it's enough."
Him: You're just going to get mad when you don't see results...
Her: See, I'm struggling. It's enough.
Him: Are you done?

And then they walked off. I glanced at Q; we smiled at each other.

12 comments:

katie said...

I feel badly for that lady. And I think it is sooo funny how you are writing about those who joined the gym for a resolution and how they are crowding the whole place. Give it a couple weeks huh and they will be gone?

Mo said...

when they filled out their membership did they fill out a prenuptial's too. haha.

LeAnna said...

Oh my goodness, poor lady! Makes you grateful for a sweet hubby!

Anonymous said...

We don't get to go to the gym that often together, but yesterday we had the chance and took it! I did the treadmill and he did the weights. It worked wonderfully.

Later he told me that he wished I had done weights so he could poke my sore spots the next day LOL

The Mommy said...

It's always nice to have an encouraging partner! Mike is for the most part encouraging, but he has his moments of "You aren't doing enough". I feel very sorry for the lady at your gym!

Jessica said...

Joint understanding is a beautiful thing! Good for the both of you for accomplishing that feat!

Lori said...

I don't think I've ever worked out with the hubs...but I don't recall ever really working out, hahah!! (j/k) You're lucky to have a guy that's sensitive:-)

beckylbranch said...

Awe! That poor woman! Terence and I can NOT work out together because he always wants to build me a work out regimine and I just get all flustered and want to do things my own way...I just like to go and do my elliptical, a few weights and be DONE! But he's never tried to add more weight to me! LOL!

Kelley said...

I'm pretty happy that both my husband and I look like spastic idiots when working out. That way we can't judge each other! I'm glad that you have a great partner!

Clarissa said...

I hate unsolicited advice! I also think you're very lucky to have an 'understanding' between you and Q when it comes to this sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

The best part of all of this? I get to watch Gooner!!!!!!

Grandma

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Awe that's sad he acted that way! That's great yall work out together. We do sometimes, but Josh has been asking us to do it more often. Thanks for the inspiration. :)