To be honest; I'm so TIRED of hearing about Twilight.
I didn't read Harry Potter either. I'm hoping this series passes like that one. People say, don't judge until you read. Well um, I've never smoked pot... and I don't need to try it to make a decision regarding it.
If you like it - you like it - BUT do you have to broadcast it EVERYWHERE?
18 comments:
Is this spurred by FB? ;) I read the first 3 books and I liked the movie. it actually isn't a lot of blood sucking. Not like traditional vampire stories. Anyways, the 3rd book I seriously had to force myself to finish it and after that I decided I was not interested in the 4th. I have things that I am like this about too, like Rocky movies. People can't believe I would not watch the movies, what with my name and all - exactly!
Hey, so here's my thoughts on this issue.
Having grown up with a mother who read me Vampire literature and other forms of gothic lit, I like to think of myself of somewhat an expert on vampire stories.
Vampire lit is very erotic and violent. it's not supposed to be happy or make you feel good. Twilight goes against Vamp Lit when the author decided to make her vamps "sparkle" and give it this teenaged romance novel feel to it.
And I agree that it is such a fad right now that everyone istalking about it so much that it gets annoying. However, I am grateful that it's getting the younger generation to read and get excited about reading it at the same time. You dont see that much in Americas youth anymore.
Now the difference between Harry Potter and Twilight is....good writing. HP is an intellegently written story that has so many twists and turns that you can't help but NOT put it down. Twilight doesn't do that in any shape or form.
However, I do echo your frustrations. People need to find other things to talk about and not have such one tracked minds. God knows I don't! (wink)
Ahem...I do more than "twilight" - I'm obsessive compulsive about it. I'm a 26 year old nerd about it. I have a crush on a seventeen year old freakazoid over Taylor Lautner about it. & so are all my girlfriends, so it's ok :-) But seriously --- it's an easy emotional read - there's nothing "brainy" about it - it's all about the feelings, I read all four in less than four days and I have a son that's less than a year old. (I got VERY little sleep those four days.) So, bring on November 20th - New Moon is out and I'll be one of those idiots buying my ticket while napping in the street before it opens - Woot!!
i am exactly like you...i hate fads and--usually--do my dead level best to resist. alas, i was sucked into twilight by my assistant at work. she bugged me and bugged me about it until i promised to read the first 5 chapters of the first book...well...i couldn't put them down until i finished them all. i have to say after finishing, they were alright. my life isn't any better having read them, but i can't say it's any worse either. as for harry potter...my opinion is entirely different. they are just good stories. a good read. and i enjoy them. no pressure...but i would recommend those.
I read Harry Potter. I really liked it. At the same time, I always judge Twilight and its readers.
I was introduced to HP by my nephew who read the first book at the age of 8. I picked it up and found it to be very well written and the plots are intricate, well thought out and as Harry grows the stories mature and get a bit more sinister. My nephew was never nerdish nor bookish but HP really drew him in. I have not read nor do I plan to read any of the twilight books. I saw the movie on a long plane ride back from Australia and I must admit that I fell asleep 2 or 3 times during it.
I do not Twilight. I am rather weirded out by all my married-with-children mid-twenties friends who are freaking out about it. Never say never, I guess, and I'll admit that I'm almost half curious with all the hubbub, but I don't think that's something I or my family need a part in.
I don't but I am not one to follow a crowd! :)
I also didn't Harry Potter. Tried to and failed at 20 pages. And I'm totally okay with that.
I haven't had a chance to read the books, but I did see the first twilight movie- I just didn't get what all the hype was about. I thought it was ok, but it certainly wasn't anything worth writing home about.
Thanks to everyone who commented! I love a good discussion! And some of you lurkers even said something!!! Thank you!
LOL! Yes there are some crazed people out there and I think it has died down some...I am not into fads either, never read any of the Harry Potter's, and I don't like vampires....however, I did read all four Twilight books in two weeks...they were just very well written and a great love story and that is what I liked about them. The movie-I thought did not do justice and I don't know why some people go koo koo....but they are fun reads and probably some of my favorite books :) I've got all four if you ever change your mind about reading them!
Eek! Here's my spill...
I'm not into vampires and blood sucking, but I will say that the Twilight Series are still my favorite books. To me, it wasn't about the vampire thing, it was about the love story behind it all. It's so ...happily ever after-ish. I read the first book knowing that I'd hate it, but honestly I couldn't put it down and rushed out to get the other books. Then, we bought the DVD when it came out and he loved it - which I totally thought he'd hate it.
So...the whole don't judge a book by it's cover, totally applies here. But, I will say, that I'm not all teenager-ish and can't wait till the next movie comes out and yadda yadda. Sure, I'll see it when it comes out on DVD but that's about it. Plus, I don't have Twilight Screensavers or anything.
Two words for you: Amen sistah. No HP, no Twilighting here. Even if I do teach high schoolers. I will not do either one. Ever. And my boys won't either, mainly because they have no interest in fads. Good call.
Mer
LOL. Just told the boys about this post. Comment by #1: "Twilight? Twilight's stupid." Comment by #2: "Twilight is dumb." Both said at the same time. What did I tell you? :)
i avoided HP for a very long time. i can be a book snob and generally avoid books that i consider lit-for-the-masses. i ended up reading them becasue of kids i babysat in college. the little boy wanted a new chapter every night, and after putting him to sleep, i would find myself reading the next few chapters. i got totally hooked. i've read them all and own the movies. twilight is a series i had not even heard about until a friend begged me to read them, and i got them at christmas. they are completely cheesy and ridiculous, but i loved them at the same time. i will see all of the movies and enjoy them! it is funny how polarizing the topic is.
I completely agree. I am a total book snob and refuse to read anything that cannot be considered literature. But then work started kicking my rear and I found I hadn't read a book in over 6 MONTHS. Oh the tragedy. Oh the withdrawl. But I simply did not have the brain power to read a book and work like a dog at the same time. Enter Twilight and my misperception that the fad had passed and I could partake without fanfare. I was wrong about being beyond the fad, but the easy and feel-goodness was soothing to my readers soul. I can set aside a weekend afternoon and finish a whole book - so my need for a book and my need to remain sane are both staying in tact. I love them, but I think it's the little girl coming out of me. For this I am not ashamed...just giggly... Miss you friend!
As for me, I consider such things as HP and Twilight as cocktail conversation topics. When you are around people you don't really know, fads are usually an easy topic of conversation. So as such, I have not read the books but I have seen the films and have my own opinion on the matter. Twilight is not so much about Vampires as it is about a forbidden romance a la Romeo and Juliette. The author obviously has picked up on the trend that a lot of yuut want to believe in true love whatever the situation. The dude could have been a paraplegic for all you know. The fact that he is a vampire just gives it more fantasy and people like the surreal. Twilight is a fad but vampires are the new thing. Look at True Blood and all the other movies/tv series about them. :)
I can't pass up the opportunity to comment about Twilight. I have been forced against my will to listen to the books on tape while carpooling 2 hours every Mon & Wed for grad school. To make it even better, the reader is horrible. She's monotone. Her voice is annoying, but it doesn't help that the books are terribly written. I'm not into vampires. I can't get the concept. It's boring to me. Not interesting at all. I try to tune it out but its impossible. I can't understand the craze personally. It's beyond me entirely. HOWEVER (and I can't believe I'm about to say this...but), the story isn't "bad" like most vampire stuff. For instance, on my FB page, I took a quiz titled "5 things I hate that everyone else seems to like" and Twilight was on that list. Then, a woman I used to work with posted this comment: "I don't understand the whole Twilight thing either. Frankly, I don't understand how parents allow their kids to watch it either because its all about the spirit of seduction." Surprisingly, this comment irritated me. Why? Mainly because I know this person was automatically assuming that it was a "demonic" story. But, actually, its about a vampire dude who falls in love with a girl and chooses to resist his urge to "seduce" her (or suck her blood) and instead he chooses to protect her at all costs. It's a sappy, teenage drama, but let's stop and think about why girls (and apparently young women) are going crazy about it. Cute guy (not in my opinion, but the majority thinks so), strong guy, pretty much perfect guy who can play sweet music, who can provide for the girl, who loves the girl so much he resists his urge to "seduce" her, who vows to sacrifice his desires and instead chooses to protect her. Etc etc etc...
Perhaps that is what girls want and need...and perhaps, unfortunately, not enough men realize this.
Post a Comment