Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Next Stage...

Making friends with Mr. Orange and Brown Spotted Giraffe and the Flying Monkey.



So, Grandma (my Mom), Gooner and I were at Kohls shopping. Not a huge deal right? Well, when we checked out, the checker outter lady (otherwise known as a cashier) asked if she was a mixed baby.

Mom: "Yes."

"Mixed with what, black?" asks checker outter.

My thoughts: Um WHAT? Are you kidding me?

Grandma: "Yes, black."

Seriously??? Would you EVER ask that? EVER? I think it was highly rude and invasive. If I'm her Mom, and her skin is brown, then YES she is mixed. I do not think it is proper, or respectful to ask someone about her daughters skin.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the reason she felt free to ask is because I would guess she also is mixed although I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't brought up the subject.

Mom/Grandma

ms. mindless said...

people can be so crass at times. as a grown woman, i still have people ask me all the time what race i am. sometimes, when i am in a good mood, i answer. sometimes, when i am in a crabby mood, i tell them "none of your business." it still drives me nuts after all these years.

Anonymous said...

i think ignorant people are cheap entertainment- you can spend hours trying to figure out what, if anything, is in their pointy little heads!
i think your daughter is beautiful!

http://randommusingsfrommypov.com

Jessica said...

That was pretty ballsy of her to ask that!

Suz said...

VERY rude!

Anonymous said...

That's very rude. Whether the chick that asked is mixed or not, I think it's inappropriate to ask such a thing!

Tell you what I'd do.. but this is just me..

I'd call up there and complain - just tell them that you'd like the issue addressed. So, that it doesn't happen again. But, again, I have a habit of calling or emailing places when someone is rude. LOL

BTW, she's adorable.

beckylbranch said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe that! I personally think that is rude-but unfortunately you can't control other people's actions. You should have said "Were you born in a barn?" That is rude!

She is so BEAUTIFUL!!!

julaine said...

Gooner is just the cutest!! It is truly amazing the questions people feel the right to ask. I had someone at a park district play day ask me if Sam and Becca had different fathers -- so I said yes and walked away. PUH LEEZE!
:-) Julaine

Meghann said...

idiot woman.

next time just say, "my husband is French, she just tans well"

Meghann said...

if you do that, seriously take a photo of the person afterward. you might get some pretty funny reactions lol

(seriously, someone needs to slap that woman. but people ask dumb things all the time. people have asked me if I highlight my children's hair--from the time they are like 6 months old. I mean, really?!?!?!? and people always ask if their curl is natural. "nope, we have weekly color and perm appointments")

Lori said...

Hmmm...that's pretty straightforward - I love all colors - can't even pick my favorite. Red and yellow, black and white - they are precious in His sight :-)

Unknown said...

If she can't figure it out on her own, she would do better to keep her mouth shut. Wow. Forbid it that I should ever be so rude and stupid.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten that people would ask me how come I let my little girls wear lipstick. Like I would let my 4 year old wear lipstick in public and it could go on and stay on that perfectly.

Mom/Grandma

The Mommy said...

How rude!!
She's mixed with love and sweetness...nothing else.

Amy said...

Welcome to Texas.

Sassytimes said...

Oh my, where do you find these people!!! Oh yeh, Kohls. ;)

Wow, I'm really, really, stunned. I can't believe anyone would ever ask anything close to that!!!

People are rude. Gooner is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

We have found the nicest people here in Texas. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

Jackie said...

First of all, Gooner is the cutest little thing EVER!

And I can't believe someone would ask that. So rude.

Ashley said...

thanks for stopping by my blog, and here is what i would have said:

no, she's not "mixed," we have been laying in the tanning bed a lot lately, and she just seems to tan better than i do.

then smile and blink innocently. :)

AK said...

my neice is alos mixed. people are ridiculous for needing to ask that. even if they couldn't tell why would you need to know??

leah @maritalbless said...

OMGosh. In the words of Michelle Tanner "How RUDE!"

Adie said...

Gooner is adorable! She looks so much like Q. Sorry some people have no tact. Yikes.