Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ohhhhhhhhhh, the hard life of my bebe



First off - the comments from yesterday - HILARIOUS. I love hearing about ridiculous people and your responses. I'm not nearly as irritated today about Madam Kohls, yet it did get me thinking; I DO need to learn how to respond to this type of situation, albeit if sarcastically. Even while pregnant, many would ask me if I was going to name my baby girl LaShanda, Shanice, Lakeisha... just because she was well, you know, mixed. I would like to quote Hannah's comment, "Forbid it that I should ever be so rude and stupid." I could lament about the breakdown of the American family, BUT I'll just ask myself where this girl's mother is, and why she felt the need to keep "tact" off the list of rearing my daughter to be a lady. Do I respond at all? Gracious and kind? Give her the eye? Bluntly put her in her place? Hmmmmmmmm. My response will most likely be directly related to how much sleep I've gotten. I guess I'll HAVE to be nice as Gooner gets older and is watching how I respond to these things. If Gooner is anything like me... I can't imagine the sarcastic response she will form in answering this question the rest of her life. But, I wouldn't change her for the world, or my choices. Q and I knew that race would most definitely come up in her life, and ours. And it has. In DC, Q was the receiver of a few blows due to marrying a "white chic" and I had trouble using public restrooms if I was the minority for fear of fights as I had "stolen a brotha." Racism is alive and well folks, but it doesn't affect or bother how we think, act, and carry ourselves in our daily walk. Surprisingly, we've gotten VERY little comments, looks, or much of anything since moving to Texas. We thought the South would be worse, but it is NOT. There was much excitement in the hospital as all the nurses wanted to actually see a brand new mixed baby. Would she be gray? How long to get her pigment... lalala. People are naturally curious, and that is ok, but woe to you if you don't think before you speak.

6 comments:

Sassytimes said...

Look at her hold her head up!!! Big girl!

I'm still astounded...that's interesting that it's not worse in Texas. You would think in today's day and age, people wouldn't be so judgmental...people are people. Get over it.

I would be sarcastic with my responses. But, that's just me. ;)

beth @ www.redandhoney.com said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog & commenting. I was just getting all discouraged about my blog today, and voila, your comment cheered me up. Thanks :)

Your baby is adorable by the way. My little guy is almost 10 months, and I can't believe he was ever that little!

kristina said...

oh! she is so beautiful! and i am amazed at the gall of some people! you are right, woe to people who dont think before they speak!

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely gorgeous and I can't believe some people!
I'm happy you spoke up for yourself in your blog, I think you're awesome! You go!

Silvy said...

that is so nice you are going to be home with baby gooner!

i've always wondered how maternity leave works if you don't go back--do you still get paid for maternity leave? did they know you weren't coming back. just curious for baby #2 :) (in the future of course)

Adie said...

My family is from the DC area and being from Colorado it is SHOCKING to me how alive racisim is in that area. My husband is from Dallas and it is more like Colorado - not an issue. DC can make me uncomfortable because of that.