Thursday, June 4, 2009

Killer Ducks

This flock looks docile, nice, friendly, peaceful...right?

Um NO! Q and I were on a lovely walk, daughter en tow, and were RUDELY chased off. The males came at us RUNNING and HISSING. I think Q would have kicked the thing if Gooner hadn't been strapped to his chest; funny how priorities change...

On a side note, my belly has been shrinking. I've been working out (safe and smart) as well as copious walks. I STILL have a lil jelly belly, but am all around pleased with my two week progress. Enter neighbor and his wife. Wife has 3 kids.

W: How old is your baby?
La: 2 weeks
W: Sizes me up. Oh well you look about right.
La: Oh good, cause you never really know.
W: Um, you look about 5 months pregnant. That's normal. Are you breast feeding? Cause if you are, you won't want to lose ALL that remaining weight.
La: Gulp. Thanks. Feels defeated.

Q: (Has been talking soccer with W's husband) Nice couple.
La: (Grabbing his hand for comfort) She thinks I look 5 months pregnant.
Q: Well you don't.
La: I don't think so either. I think it is the huge, baggy, Texas Proud size L that I'm wearing.

Folks, I'm not in denial, I KNOW I still have a pooch. But SHE didn't need to be SO honest about what she thought. I prefer to leave reality checks to the scale, and the mirror, not people I meet on the street. Normally I don't care what other people think, EXCEPT this whole having Gooner, mixed with lack of sleep makes me weepy.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

How does she know what you would've looked like 5 months pregnant?! Did she see you? I think not. I'm remembering back to when I was 5 months pregnant...and you know what? Strangers couldn't even TELL I was pregnant. So, I say whoo-hoo! Good for you!! I think you're doing great, try not to let stranger comments get you down. :) You're healthy and working out, and HOLY MOLY you're working out and your baby is 2 weeks old?! Wow. That IS amazing! Good job!!

Sassytimes said...

Wow, can't believe someone would say that! First of all, it's only been 2 weeks! You will lose that belly in no time..esp with breastfeeding and exercising.

Don't worry about it! You are doing an amazing job.

Jackie said...

People can be so rude!

katie said...

Oh my word: I don't know who was worse... the Wife or the Goose!

I'm certain you don't look 5 months preggers... and its only been 2 weeks anyway! Most of us have a lil' jelly belly goin' on and we don't even have the legitimate reason that we just went through 9 months of pregnancy, the last few months of which were especially uncomfortable, and then we had labor, delivery, and now we have late night feedings and aren't getting much sleep! Geez W: Give Mrs. La a break!

And who says random strangers should be handing out parenting or health advice anyway?

(...Okay, sorry if I went a little long and overboard with this comment. This one set me off! :) ...)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're looking incredible! She can just shove it. She's probably just jealous of you... cutie patootie man, cutie patootie baby, and by the pics you've shown us, you look fabulous too.

Unknown said...

Um, that's stupid. Really stupid. She clearly needs to clamp her mouth when she goes out in public, because her perception is probably WAY off, and honestly, what possible motive did she have in her "honesty"? My thoughts? She's jealous that you look so good.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that lady wasn't raised right. That's just freaking rude. And btw, I don't think you look 5 months pregnant - I think you look great. I remembered thinking that when you posted that picture the other day.

And the ducks/geese/whatever they are - yeah, I stay away from those devil birds! They chase and squak at me!

Jessica said...

Remember that it took 9 months for the weight to get on you, don't expect it all to disappear overnight. Every woman is different and you can't get discouraged by what others say. If you are happy with your progress that's all that matters!

The Mommy said...

I CANNOT believe that anyone would say that!! I think you look great and she should realize that everyone looks different at each stage of pregnancy...and the fourth trimester.
I've enjoyed catching up on Gooner and her Mom and Dad while hanging out and laboring.

Dana said...

Did you study in Moscow? I have been here working for 2 years and move back home at the end of the month!

Adie said...

I would just blow her off! There is no way you look 5 months preg. You are so healthy. It is also not her place to say such a thing, sounds almost like a 13 year old girl, just saying something to be mean or because they have no word sensor. I always just feel bad for those types of people. Keep up the good work!!