Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Arrival

*Thus far in Prone to Wander "Mom" referred to MY Mom, but not anymore. I am now Mom; Q is now Dad. Mom and Dad are now Grandma and Grandpa.*

That being said, I freaked out today. I was nursing Gooner after a 4 hour nap - girl LOVES to sleep - and she was eating a lot and at a RAPID pace. Then...OH MY GOODNESS! Milk began spewing out of her nose, out of her mouth, and she couldn't BREATHE. I jumped up and started pounding on her back - all through this her eyes bugged out as she fought for air. She finally got a breath and I thankfully hugged her little heaving body to my chest. I was traumatized. She was traumatized - her tiny fists held tight onto my shirt. Then the tears came; they welled up big in my eyes and I felt so many emotions rush through my body. She wanted to snuggle and I was happy to oblige.

Once again I feel like I've arrived. I arrived when I felt the first kick. I arrived when I successfully gave birth. I arrived when Gooner had her first blowout and I was on the receiving end. I arrived when Gooner slept for 5 hours two nights ago. I arrived when I successfully survived Gooners first non breathing experience. I have arrived. All that to say, do you ever arrive? Everything is a learning experience, and a growing experience for both Mom and Dad. Being a mother HAS changed me. As Grandma says, I now have a "labor story" to share. I now smile when I hear stories, and I'm so happy when a friend calls and jubilantly informs me that her daughter slept through the night. I am now able to share in the joy of a son/daughter's first step...

Now, my husband is home and we are going for a walk!

10 comments:

Sassytimes said...

Glad she is okay! I remember the first time Sophia freaked me out. One of my other mom friends told me "it won't be the last time, so hang in there". Boy, was she right!

It does get easier though.

Anonymous said...

Glad she's okay (and you are too)! That's so scary!

Lori said...

Oh my goodness - I've had ONE of those not breathing experiences & it scared me to no end - You handled it like I did, haha - beat them until they start breathing...

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Goodness, glad she was okay! I can't imagine going through that!

Suz said...

Oh goodness, I bet that was so stressful! Whew, I'm so glad she is ok! You are a great Mom and just get better with every day! :)

Unknown said...

I actually just had her first non-breathing experience when she took a bath the other day. I was RIGHT THERE, and she just slipped over and under water. I was terrified. Her fit of crying when it was over relieved me so much.

All those "firsts" are so huge to me. I want to save them and hold them forever. I can't imagine how hard it will be to see her grow up and leave someday. I will be proud, but I think I will be sad too.

Anonymous said...

Sigh....Contentment
AF

Shaye said...

hello. I surfed in and wanted to post. Congrats on your beautiful baby girl. I think every new mom has those moments of panic, if they didnt, they probaby should. It just shows you are aware of your baby :)
Enjoy these precious little times, even the non-sleeping nights. They go away, o to soon!

Lindsey said...

Ahhhh he is gorgeous!!!!

Adie said...

How scary!! This happened to us as well except it went on for about 20 minutes. She would stop breathing and than finally start again and than all of a sudden stop and than start. It was horrible! It was so scary because I knew she was choking and not breathing. We ended up calling 911

You must try Spin!