It's true. Well, any Barista who hands a comatose customer a FANATABULOUS cup of Cafe Verona...is a hero, but I actually saved the life of...drum roll please....Jack. Jack happened to be a medium sized gray mutt meandering through DC traffic. Of course we all saw this harrowing news story last week.... Apparently mankind won't stop to help a human BUT....
EVERYONE stops, swerves and all out dives for a dog. Even if it is mangy. Only no one stopped except me. I pulled over IN THE RAIN and called and kissed for wet dog. I crouched in the ditch at dog level, puckered up and gave my all as the mutt placed a paw back on the highway. At my air kiss, I saw gray ears perk and his little head swerved my way. Apparently used to humans, and definitely fast cars, he headed toward me and allowed my eyes a look see at his collar. Jack was engraved on his faded blue tin heart. Wet Jack and I got into my car where he sat panting in the passenger seat and I called owner.
The owner was a seven year old boy who requested that I drop off Jack...being as he was home alone and couldn't leave. So I drove down the street and knew just where Jack lived, as a small boy stood in the street dancing around. He was happy to get Jack back. I was happy.
2 comments:
just found your blog via Jackie and Charley's (college friends of mine) and enjoyed reading it. We live outside Charlottesville, so not too far from you (and we were actually up there last week). We hike and camp quite a bit too--there are great places near us. let me know if you want any suggestions :)
--Meghann
Hey Meghann,
We would love suggestions! We'll have to have dinner next time you are in the area...or if you need a place to stay! It was a lot easier to find trails when I lived in Colorado...
Post a Comment