Thursday, November 30, 2006

So the Pope is Visiting Istanbul




Well, I hope Mr. Bendedict enjoys himself in Istanbul. We all know how I currently feel about the city, but apparently he is visiting the Blue Mosque and henceforth decided to add some photos of my own so that you can experience some of what he will see. Hopefully he will be safe. He made some PRETTY anti Islamic statements, and if I made statements like that I would not fly myself to Istanbul. The middle east would not be my first choice. At leat he's making the effort right? He's going to the lions den to say, "I'm sorry." Humility such as this can only be respected and welcomed with open arms...? Right, but oh wait, are we dealing with rational minds? Is anybody truly rational? An irrational statement can make even the most rational person irrational. It has 6 spires and equals the spires of the church in Mecca. And just to show you how "rational" I get, I actually told a Muslim in an argument that Muhammad was a bandito (bandit, robber.) This is fact; read up on some history. Now was this a rational thought? Yes, but was it rational to say?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice photos! Maria asked me this morning, "Where is MS. Laura?"......

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
I am Ekin's mother. Actualy I was looking for your e-mail address to send her longing message. Then I found your blog. When I read the story about your life in İstanbul and the decision of going back home, I realy feel sad.
We had an explaination from school that you go back due to you do not have permission to work.
I wish you had good times in Istanbul, As you mentioned, living in Istanbul is some times hard, but also very enjoyable and confortable.It is I beleive unluckly you see the bad face of it. I wish we were aware and could help your adaption to here. It is too late to say that.
Ok let me share with you what Ekin wants me to share with you(sure I'll add what I felt). When they here that you go back to US. She came home and told me that "Momy, today something very bad at school. Ms. Laura go back to US". Few days later she asked me if I can visit you in my next trip to US. I told her it is possible to write you a message to tell her feelings.During the time you were teaching them they, at least I am sure she, do love the period they spent with you.
I appreciate your performance and your teaching capability to kids. We really wish you would be here and continue with them. In 2 months you incredibly managed them to start speaking.
I hope this will remain in your mind that you haven't been here for nothing. They'll remember you all the time as a good teacher.
If it happens that you come to Istanbul again, please visit us.


PS: Blue Mosque is not the one converted form the church. It is built as mosque. The one converted from church to mosque is Saint Sophia. And it is a museum right now.

Q, La, and Gooner said...

Hi Funda!

I miss the children terribly! No I did not leave due to a work permit. I really enjoyed Ekin and her spunk! She was my only student who LOVED extra work, lol. If you would like my email address you can always send a note with Ekin to school for Ms. Gizem; she has my email. If you aren't able to do this I left mainly for my personal safety and IIS ethics. My ex roommates telling me to move out over a one word misunderstanding was the last straw. It was agreed that I would live with them for one year, but instead I suddenly found myself alone, and this is NEVER safe for me! Parts of Istanbul were lovely Funda, I will never deny that! If I have offended you, your faith, nationality, anything I am truly sorry. I am a single, fair skinned, blue eyed, independent, American, Christian; I had all these things going against me. Really, I would love to talk to you so I hope we can exchange emails. I loved my time with the children and I loved all the time with your daughter! Give Ekin a hug and tell her that Ms. Laura misses her!!!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I miss Maria Angela too, except I DON'T miss pulling play dough out of her nose!

Anonymous said...

well now shes into eating paper!! Progress eh? well you'll see how much fun it is when you have your own one day!