Sunday, November 12, 2006

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire...



I feel sleepy, and I should. I spent the day running around wondering about life and hanging out with friends. The day began with a lovely chat with someone special. I henceforth left home and braced myself for another day in Istanbul. Sunday mornings are lovely, fabulous. Normally the streets are full and I find myself stuck behind an irritating couple taking up the whole narrow sidewalk and refusing to part from the arm of the other for more than a second. Why? They are in love and have no other place to be than with the one they love; much to my chagrin as I try to grab the last seat on the dolmush. The day is crisp and lovely and the smell of chestnuts roasting on the side of the road is brilliant. I arrive at church and instantaneously shed my jacket and scarf as even though heating is quite expensive, the church is sparing no expense at roasting it's parishioners. On the other hand I hear that winter is wicked and thus will appreciate this geture at a later date. The rest of the day was spent walking around with my friends and Rocky, experiencing the wonderful potatos of Ortakoy. I also have a deep love for a particular Belgian Shepherd named Rocky. He's a great dog and I love watching people yelp as we walk by. One guy asked if he was a wolf...really? Really? He's a nice big beautiful animal with a lovely personality.

No comments: