Friday, June 4, 2010

Why didn't you say hello? Part II

So, back to making an effort. I volunteered to help out with the food at our church outreach event. This was a FAMILY event so I was bound to meet loads of other Mom's. Mom's wanting to be friends. Mom's that hopefully respect their man enough to withhold the private info. 

And I did. I met Mom's who genuinely loved their husbands. Not that husband stabbers don't love their husbands, I'm just talking about loving someone enough NOT to talk about them. I'm not talking about confiding to your friend because your husband missed your anniversary and your heart genuinely hurts. No, no, this is different. Being a friend and malicious talk are two very different things. 

While manning the water table the pastor's wife - whom I'm friends with - rushed me over to meet another woman. "She lives in your neighborhood" she gushed. And lives she does TWO doors down. I walk or run by her house EVERY day. Anyway, Lady in my Neighborhood told me that she's seen me walking my daughter and recognized me at church.

Say what? Did you just say that you've seen my at two separate locations and STILL did not say hello?

Just the other day while Q and I were out for a hike we ran into some people who I THOUGHT we attended church with. I was wrong. But I tried AND we got into a healthy debate about how Texas is adding Creationism to school curriculum - GO TEXAS - and how they disagreed. We disagreed with them.

ALL THIS TO SAY, take a chance, even if you are wrong and I am not your neighbor, just say hello. I promise, I only bite when provoked. 

Your thoughts on thievery totally cracked me up. You guys have some strong opinions. Today I got blisters on my feet, we found a pair of sandals and wore the shoes around the store before I bought them. When I got to the counter the sales person didn't care and said, "no problem as long as you have a right and a left shoe." I'm pretty sure a couple of you would call me a thief... Sorry to those of you who say buy before you consume or wear...not me. If I'm thirsty I'm chugging it down, if I have blisters I'm wearing the shoes and if I forgot Cheerios, she's eating the puffs all with full intention of paying. I've paid for an empty bottle. You are allowed to do this in America. In Europe this is a no no, but here, let freedom ring!


Your thoughts were awesome and I too was appalled about the Wagon Wheels.

7 comments:

The Mommy said...

I chug down drinks and then pay for the empty bottle too, but I once saw a woman (from a certain country down south) let her child eat a tomato and then she threw the uneaten part away. I thought that was awful! Now, if you had wore the shoes around the store and then put them back on the shelf, I'd think you were wrong, but not a thief. I would only open a snack in a store if I knew the product and new that the kids were going to eat.
Anyway...enough rambling! I'm glad you're making friends. I'm helping with camp at our HUGE church next week and I hope to meet a few other ladies other than the ones in the nursery.

Clarissa said...

It is super wierd and unfriendly that that neighbor of yours didn't say hello. What the heck? I am sort of shy about meeting people in situations like that, but if you know someone from two places, um, you have to introduce yourself.
P.S. bummer about the blisters. I keep getting one on my right heel from my running shoes. There's a funny bunching of 'shoe material' at the blister spot that I didn't even feel until I decided to figure out what was giving me blisters. (That's right, my RUNNING shoes, in which I have started workingout/running in everyday. For reals. I've decided I just need to get over the hate and do it. So far so good.)

Kelley said...

That would totally annoy me. For real, especially since she saw you at 2 places. hopefully she is just super shy so that's why she didnt say hi. But I am glad you are going out and trying to meet new people I know God is going to use you to bless the heck out of some women!
And I totally drink things while I walk around stores. W on the other hand things I shouldn't do it so one time I asked a cop in a gas station with W what he thought and he said as long as you pay for it it is not stealing. So there you have it even a cop wouldnt arrest you in the store if you buy it ;)

Adie said...

I think it is really weird that the neighbor never said hi to you and than admited to it! So does she not realize it? Glad you got new shoes, I hate having to return shoes, so I am glad you got to figure out whether they were the ones or not.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

When I first moved in my neighbors would NEVER speak to me, after about 6 months they finally started saying hello. I thought it was bizarre.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

There's totally a difference between drinking a water and then paying for the bottle... and "tasting" something, putting it back in the box, and then putting it back on the shelf!

I would probably be one of those people who didn't say hello. I am reeeaaalllly shy and always afraid to impose on others' privacy. But I would still be secretly wishing I had the guts to say hi! Maybe your neighbors are insecure rather than unfriendly?

Lindsey said...

You seriously crack me up. I love reading your witty thoughts. :) Just for the record I would have totally said hi to you!