I use coupons. Avidly. I detest buying things full price and I'm all for brand loyalty, except these days I go for the brand that offers the best coupons. I do believe I have mentioned before that it is a "job" I take seriously. Anyway the other week, I spent HOURS pouring over coupons and ads and felt pretty silly about it. Q called from work to see how my day was...how was Gooner... and I told him what I had been up to, er HOURS of coupon fun. The next day off we went, with our budget, with our cash in an envelope, and headed to the supermarket.
Total bill for groceries: 75 dollars
So I handed her my coupons. I've learned to hand them to the cashiers ONE by ONE. This way if the coupon doesn't think you have purchased the proper item you are aware that you need to find your item or make a case for yourself.
Total with coupons: 35 dollars
Total Savings: 54 %
Um wow. I felt proud. I felt like a winner. Even Gooner likes the Oatmeal!
Fluffy Oatmeal via Kath
I like to make enough for both Q and I so:
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (half a cup for each of us although Q eats some of mine)
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (we are going off dairy, or MOST dairy)
1 Banana (cut into slices)
1 Teaspoon REAL vanilla
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
Organic Almond Butter
Berries to Top
1. Mix the top 4 ingredients. (I like to use a spoonula)
2. Once it is boiling I turn OFF the heat and stir in the vanilla and chia seeds.
3. I pour into our bowls and scoop out a small spoonful of organic almond butter
4. Top with berries
MAJOR yumm-o! The banana's are all fluffy and yummy and hot and tasty. Oh my goodness. Some days we add white chocolate for a bit of something special.
Breakfast Today: Tropical Green Smoothie
11 comments:
im still envious of your coupon clipping skills!
WOW! I WISH I was that good with the coupons...oye...I have tried, but not organized enough, or I forget to bring them with when I save them! That's awesome, you need to teach me the way! haha.
Thanks for stopping by and for your insight/story!
-Laury
Oh, yum! Your oatmeal sounds amazing. I'll have to try it!!! Great job on saving BIG at the grocery store! My favorite part is seeing my total go DOWN. :) I need to start coupon clipping more again. It's such a fun, productive hobby.
Wow! That is AWESOME! What a huge savings!
I am terrible at couponing. We do it occasionally, but never enough to save 54%!
Good for you.
Seriously your couponing AMAZES me!!! Do you just use the coupons in the Sunday paper? or do you have other sources?
Wow! Go you!!
yummy... the oatmeal sounds amazing... especially with the coconut milk! awesome job on cutting your grocery bill in half!
i'm an avid couponer too. we really would be such great friends. but, yesterday i had to go the store, we desperately needed everything. i only had so much time and wasn't able to get all my coupons together. i paid full price for a lot of things. i about had a heart attack. : (
Woot! You go, girl! That's some awesome couponing. Wish I liked oatmeal, but alas, I do not. My Q and B do, though. I've recently heard about chia seed! Matter of fact, ran across a refrigerator berry oatmeal/chia seed recipe this morning on a friends blog. It looked interesting!
Yummy!
I've never saved anywhere near that with coupons, but we don't really have a grocery budget. I try to spend as little as I can and that is our budget.
This is random, but I ran across a friends blog with a post for hummus that is just like my Momma's recipe. So what am I doing? I'm passing it on, because that means I don't have to type it out. Am I LAZY or what? but seriously, this is just like Mom's...
http://annemcarr.blogspot.com/2010/06/making-hummus.html
Wow, I need to learn from you!! That's amazing. And I must try this oatmeal recipe, because oatmeal is the best!
Post a Comment