I really do love food. Not true, I love GOOD food. I enjoy flavours. I enjoy food from around the world. I enjoy spices and herbs. I enjoy the tangy flavours of African coffee and the earthy tones in Asian blends. I love cleansing my plate with a morsel of bread. I'm not shy, I love the tasty stuff. So WHY when I surfed good ole blog world, did I find EVERYWHERE that women eat for 1.comfort or 2.out of boredom. Really? This is NOT why I eat. This is NOT why I have weight to lose. Why do I want another cookie when I'm satisfied???
BECAUSE IT TASTES GOOD.
Why have more pasta when I know I am satisfied and it will take FOREVER to metabolize?
CAUSE IT TASTES GOOD.
I am the mother of an 8 month old. I do not walk around the house with a lack of things to do. There is ALWAYS a floor to sweep or mop. Why on earth would I head to the kitchen if I'm BORED? If I am bored, by golly I'm grabbing a book and heading to bed! And comfort? I know a cookie ain't gonna make me feel better, but Q can.
Why do YOU eat?
Have I EVER eaten out of boredom? Yes.
Have I EVER eaten out of frustration? Yes.
Have I EVER eaten for comfort? Yes.
Yes I have BUT, for me, by far, FLAVOUR keeps me coming back for more.
I also love to workout and ran 4 miles today. I am one of those ladies whose body holds on to fat while breast feeding like there is NO tomorrow. I've accepted that fact and also that I need to make really smart food choices. I've been working out faithfully and eating smartly for 3 months now. I'm seeing a pattern here: 5 pounds a month. My body is losing weight at this rate. At first I felt frustration because I want it so badly to come off faster. FASTER. But, I'm ok with it. Really. I will NEVER be able to sit and eat a whole bag of Cheetos with no consequences, and I don't even want to. The truth is, this is a lifestyle change and a pound a week is fabulous. I'm happy with that.
16 comments:
Food is practically my love language. I like to make food. I like to watch the Food Network on TV. I like to talk about food. And, duh, I love to EAT food! Like you, I eat because it's good and I enjoy it. I probably used to eat more when I was 'bored' but now 'bored' never happens. Definitely in past, and yeah, a little bit right now, I tend to overeat, but only because I knew that the next day I'd be attending a 60 minute spinning class and could work it off. Basically, I work out so that I can eat! I wish that theory actually worked when trying to lose baby weight, but, not so :(
ps - good for you for 4 miles! I really need to start getting on the treadmill soon! Do you do it when the baby is napping?
I love to eat too - especially Mexican food. Yum.
Great, great job on running 4 miles! I need to get my butt out there but it's too dang cold for me! I think the treadmill is calling my name!
I'm no foodie, I'm not one who experiments in the kitchen what so ever. If there is a recipe I will be glad to try it (that way if it doesn't taste good I can blame the recipe). I dislike fish or really anything that comes from the water with the exception of shrimp on a rare occasion. Both the hubby have a large list of foods we dislike. I'm like Kaley in the way of I workout so I can eat. I do enjoy myself some desserts and then just workout like a crazy woman. Up until I was placed on bedrest due to high blood pressure I was working out 6 days a week with 3 of those days working out 2x a day and before pregnancy I worked out 6 days a week with 5 days working out 2x a day. I plan to return to this workout schedule once released from doc. I wish there was a bank in which you could deposit workouts so if one day you're not feeling up to it you just withdraw a workout from the bank:)
Great job on the 4 miles I'm ready for some warmer temps so I can hit the road.
I eat because of how GOOD food tastes too! My girls haven't been napping at the same time for more than a few minutes. Ellie goes down first and then shortly after Maggie's asleep she wakes up and I'm holding/playing/chasing around a baby. Never a boring moment aroud here!
I eat for the taste too. And other than chocolate, I stay away from sweets. Its the breads, meats, pastas, veggies that I think are delish.
Five pounds a month sounds great to me. The weight will come off. And you don't have empty bags of chips to attribute any weight to, but instead a beautiful curly haired girl. And four miles when you have an 8 month old sounds pretty dang awesome to me.
i also eat because i love the taste of food. especially when im making the food and have to taste it along the way :) you're doing great la!
Hmmm...I eat because I like to EAT! And yes, I'm pickier now than before...Great job losing the weight slow! That's probably healthier and you'll keep it off :-)
I totally agree. I eat because I like the way it tastes. And keeps on tasting while I keep on eating. I will say that after I had my son, I didn't have time to fix the real weak point for me (sweets!) and gradually developed a resistance to them. Meaning I got to the point where I couldn't handle as much sugar as I used to be able to. That made a huge difference for me, just cutting waaaay back on sugar. However, it takes some will to keep that going, as I ate a small sandwich bag full of peanut butter m&m's yesterday, with no problem...ha!
You ran 4 miles? WOW!
So exciting! 5 pounds a month is a great trend!
I love food and mostly for taste. But I have been finding myself eating out of boredom and stress. I love to cook great tasting meals but lately I do not have a great relationship with food. Something I am working on.
I am happy you joined the daily mile with me. When I saw it you came to mind!
Preach it!! I totally understand. Sometimes I wish I didn't like the amazing and beautiful flavors of food so much because then it would be easier to say no to pasta, no to chocolate, no to ice cream, etc., but that is not who I am. I, like you, have definately eaten things because I'm bored or stressed, but I really don't understand how these can be someone's sole motivator. Most unfortuntely, my super-sedentary lifestyle, due to my need to read and write ALL THE TIME does not work well with my love of flavorful things. However, I'm trying to be "good", and I'm keeping up with yoga, which is about all I can fit in right now. I'm so happy for your progress, friend.
That sounds like the perfect rate to lose! I am with you...eating for FLAVOR. Yes, I have eaten for other reasons, but the taste is what keeps me going back for more. ;o) At my last Dr. appointment, the midwife was telling me to be careful (because I'd gained 6 pounds...in about 4 1/2 weeks). She told me, "Eat for nutrition." Hmm...Just as we were going to try and go to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner. ;o) Easier said than done!
LOVE FOOD! Love bad food though...unlike you :)
Your daughter is beautiful!
HEAR HEAR! I can't get behind the idea that you should just eat to fuel your body only. I enjoy tastes too much!!
Wow...that is awesome! I'm trying to make lifestyle changes, one day at a time...and it takes just that, time!
it's a constant battle between me and food. Thank you for being an inspiration to me!
I had to laugh when I read this, because I'm the same way!
When asked if I have a sweet tooth or prefer savory, my answer is: I like food!
Post a Comment