Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fitness....Um....Saturday?


I have worked out 14 days straight - no break, no joke. I love to work out. I love that you can once again see muscles on my body and not just pregnancy roundness. I was amazed at how round my shoulders got and how my legs lost ALL definition. When my body acknowledged baby, it lost the ability to tone, and I had zero muscle definition. And then I lost all the muscle. After pushing out Gooner, I was one jellyfish. A happy jellyfish. But I was NOT ready for swim suit season.

I then began reading blogs and babycenter.com where EVERYONE was losing all that baby weight. Phrases like "I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight...but I'd like to lose an additional ten" or "I've lost 20, only 5 to go" were not helpful. Sure, my body is changing - goodbye jelly rolls hello muscle tone - BUT the scale refuses to change. I've given up shortbread cookies, going out to eat, ice cream, frozen yogurt... I'm now working out a minimum of one hour a day and NOTHING. Well not nothing because I'm looking different, BUT what about the scale? What about STILL being at my highest weight EVER?

Bottom line. Nursing. For some reason the extra weight falls off some women, while other women - like ME - store the fat so that we can FEED our baby even through famine! My body is storing fat for the potential Biblical 7 years of famine, BUT as long as I work out, I'm happy with it. Q is happy. Gooner is happy. What else is there?

Frankly, every woman is different.

12 comments:

beckylbranch said...

That makes me feel better that you are so realistic about the weight loss. I don't see how it just falls of people who just had babies honesty! I think you look great and like you said if you are happy and feeling good and your husband is happy then what else is there right? You look great!

Anonymous said...

14 days straight!?! You are a machine!! Don't worry about the number on the scale...sounds like you are looking great!

Glad you stopped by. I've spent the last little bit reading lots of you posts and you are definitely going into my Reader. :)

Suz said...

i am right there with ya! i thought i would have 5 lbs to go by now... not the case for me!

Adie said...

Thank you for this post! I am feeling the same way. It was this way with the 3 year old and apparently it is just who I am. I don't work out everyday but I do 1 hour - 4 days a week which I think is good. Especially since 2 of those days are spin class which burns 6-800 calories. Anyway - you are a total machine! Keep up the good work. And I think you look amazing!

Unknown said...

Wow, I am totally impressed by your 14 days straight! Whew! I absolutely agree that everyone is different, and as long as we're working out & feeling good, the scale shouldn't really matter! Besides, my MIL says that while you're nursing, your blood volume, etc. is UP-which keeps SOME weight on (good for you, and good for your baby.) Good job!

Sassytimes said...

I was amazed too how much my shoulders changed. They will never be what they once were...nor, will my legs be. But, I'm okay with that. You are HEALTHY! and you look fabulous.

leah @maritalbless said...

Yuppers! I hear you lady. If I cut calories in anyway, zoop! There goes my supply. I'm still about 12 lbs up from my pre-pregnancy weight, BUT I just finished a 6 mile run today and I'm back to my beloved soccer. My body can still do what I ask of it! After having Isaac, I'm more impressed with my body now than I was when I was in the 130's {keep in mind, given my 5'4" height, I should be in the 120's lol}. Know that you're healthy and take happiness from that! Gooner loves you as you are. :)

BTW the sports bra I'm utilizing is an under armor one from my college days. I looked and they don't make anything similar anymore. I don't know where I'd be without it.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I don't know if I could work out that many days straight - I HATE working out! Keep it up girl! You're doing great!

ms. mindless said...

even if your body never goes back to its pre-pregnancy shape and size, you are still one hot mama and you have gooner!

Jasmine said...

OH MY GOODNESS! You have the cutest baby in the world! I thought Isaiah (my son) was cute... your sweet baby put him to shame!

Meghann said...

I never could really lose the weight until after I stopped nursing either. (and I never REALLY went back--but I don't actually want to be as skinny as I was, I am healthier now)

Leigh said...

Oh no...I was counting on that whole breast feeding thing. I never heard about the women who store for a famine - that's totally going to be me!!