Monday, July 13, 2009

90th Birthday and Family Reunion



Tomorrow Gooner and I will embark on our first overnight journey. My Grandma, her Great-Grandma...whom she is named after, is having her 90th Birthday Party. In Iowa. So Grandma, Gooner, and I will be driving to Iowa tomorrow! Two days on the road with an almost, GASP, 2 month old. We will be gone for 9 days. NINE DAYS folks! Q and Grandpa will meet up with us over the weekend for the party festivities, but I still have to pack an infant for nine days.

I'm excited...yet sad. My sister, whom I LOVE DEARLY with her fabulously beautiful and wonderful family, lives in the Philippines. This means that she won't be there. Ugh. I miss her. And her family. BUT she's my sister and she won't be there and it makes me sad. What is a reunion without your sister? And she hasn't met Gooner. Sisters are supposed to be among the first to hold your baby and stuff like that. She's supposed to be here in person giving me parenting advice that I may or may not take which should annoy both of us, yet love at the same time. BUT she was on Skype, on the computer to talk to her and see her first. I'll ALWAYS cherish those three little heads on the computer screen welcoming us home from the hospital. Q and I have immediate family in six different countries. Those represented:

United States
Philippines
Ghana
France
England
Jamaica

That being said, we don't see anyone very often...and that is hard. Q has lived in multiple countries including Ghana, Kenya, France... I have lived in Russia, Turkey, and here. We are a family of global travelers and wow, that makes for a hard family reunion. BUT I am really close to my Aunt Faye and I'm so glad she's going to be there. I also have cousins, other aunts and uncles that are and will always be family.

For those of you who have family, enjoy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you and Q have people all over the globe!! I'm sorry to hear your sis won't be able to see baby Gooner :( Hope you all have a great time, though.

Jasmine said...

Laura! Thanks for the comment... usually, we just let the ladies confess their mommy secrets, but I had to let you know something I learned from my Doctor... babies, unless your daughter has shown otherwise, have no temp. preference. When he told me, I never warmed another bottle! But girlfriend, I am lazy. Isaiah is two and I still don't head up his canned soup,ravioli, or anything else I can get away with.

Clarissa said...

I am so excited to see you this weekend!!!!!

Amy said...

We are leaving Friday morning and will be there around noon I'm sure. I am really excited.

Suz said...

wow! You are a world traveler! I can totally relate in the sister stuff. I can hardly wait for her to meet Kyah! whew, 9 days and a 2 day drive! I hope it goes wonderful! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, I do feel for you. I am blessed to have my sister/In-Laws/parents all within 35 minutes drive time. It can make holidays hectic, dividing the time up between our various family groups, but that is definitely not something to complain about...we just need to figure out a good system for trying to keep everyone happy. :o) Hope you all have fun at the reunion & that you get to see your sister soon!

Kelley said...

so bummed i dont get to see you. have so much fun with your family. love you. miss you.

Mo said...

That picture is sooo cute. What a little angel face.

Unknown said...

I love family and generations. I'm so glad you were able to introduce Gooner to her great grandma--- and probably at about the same time we were introducing Shiloh to hers!