Sunday, July 26, 2009

Amish Country

How much do YOU know about the Amish? I thought I knew a lot. I was almost an expert...or so I thought. You see, growing up in Illinois we would drive to Iowa on a yearly basis to visit Grandma and visit the Amish stores where we would buy HUGE blocks of chocolate for 30 dollars. The chocolate was tasty and used for Christmas candies and the such. The other thing that made me an expert were lovely Christian Amish romance novels. You know the ones where the Amish girl falls in love with an Englisher... Beverly Lewis also wrote a bunch and well... I knew it all...

While we were in Iowa, the clan - including Clarissa (from a post below) - took a drive through Amish country. We knew we were there when we passed this:




No cars, no tractors, but a horse and buggy. I felt so bad passing them in our car, shooting dust into their buggies. As we were caravanning, one car would pass a buggy and as the dust settled, an Amish family would stick their heads out the sides of the buggy only to rapidly pop their heads back in so as to avoid another cloud of dust created by us passing them. I was one of those people who shamelessly swung my head around to STARE at the people in the buggy. Long beards, straw hats, plain shirts, and suspenders were sported by the men. The women wore beautiful bonnets, and long plain dresses. I didn't take any photos of the super, duper, cute children dressed like this, OR adults due to their beliefs - no graven images.



It was so peaceful. Amish Country. No power lines. No flushing toilets - boy was I glad I had Gooner WITH me and not IN me for this journey. I did spend a little time in an outhouse and was SUPER glad I was not Amish. But the houses made sense. The windows went from East to West to catch the breeze; the houses were white to reflect heat in the summer...etc. Oh, and such beautiful gardens! But imagine what YOUR house and garden would look like if you did not have blogs, email, or facebook...



We stopped by several Amish stores - about 5 of them to be exact. What a wonderful experience! We got oats, beef soup base, plastic pants that fit our little Gooner (cloth diapering HERE WE COME), and other little beauties. We also stopped by a furniture store. I had taken Gooner out of her baby Jeep in order to use an outhouse and she was thoroughly safe within the arms of a family member. Once I got back, I stood in line and while I was paying for my proudly purchased Amish knives, I suddenly heard: "Whose baby is that?" I looked up and saw an elderly Amish man with a balding head, long beard, worn shirt, and tight suspenders.

"She's mine," I said with a huge smile. I love her; she's mine. I'm always quick to reply as I'm a proud Mama.

"She's a mixed baby; her father must be a man of color. I've never seen this kind before."

WHAT? I beg your pardon? "Why yes", I replied trying to be sensitive,"her father is from Ghana."

"Why, isn't she a pretty thing? Where's that?"

"Africa. Western Africa."

"How'd he get here? Does he look like other black men here?"

The conversation continued. Imagine. An 8th grade education. NO pictures. Rural Iowa. He'd NEVER seen a black person - and he never will. He'd certainly never seen a mixed baby, and here one was in his store. I felt uncomfortable, my baby girl being talked about this way. She was a "thing" not yet seen until now.

The truth remains: there are still parts of the United States that do not have running water, do not know who the president is, and have never seen a person of color.

8 comments:

Angie said...

That is true. And yes, to some, that would be sad.

But I have to say it shows their dedication to a life separate from the rest of the world. Because, the Michael Jackson fiasco alone has reached the far corners of the earth--to say nothing of our current president.

You may feel like you were being interrogated--but I think, in many ways, you opened up a new little corner to this man's world.

And, I can't think of a better person (or two--mother & daughter) to do such a thing! :)

Anonymous said...

We live near Amish people too and they always amaze me. On one hand, I envy them a little because they don't seem troubled in the same way we do. They work hard for what they have. But I love my blog and my cell phone and my DVD player, hehe.

That man will always remember Gooner I'm sure. :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about Amish people, but I had no idea that they've never seen black people or mixed babies. I mean, really? Why is it that?

The Mommy said...

I LOVE Amish country...but I've only been to Intercourse, PA and the near by areas.

The Mommy said...

I should say that I love the Amish and their culture amazes me. I'd never thought about how they looked at race and color. Just think, he'll never forget your Gooner.

Anonymous said...

How interesting! I would really like to stop in on the Amish are some time.

Last summer my boyfriend, who is also black, I were driving from our home in Seattle to Jackson Hole, WY and stopped at a diner in a tiny little town on the way and a younger kid saw my boyfriend and asked his Mom why his skin was so dark.

She seemed a little embarrassed, and whispered to us that he'd never seen a black person before.

While my boyfriend certainly wasn't offended, I was surprised by her comment. I didn't realize how little diversity their small town held.

When it comes to race people are so quick to take offense...I am glad that you had such a pleasant conversation with the gentleman. I am sure it was a neat experience for his as well.

Anonymous said...

i am facinated by the amish. it sounded as if that man was being respectful and just wanted to know. so he asked questions-much kinder that rude comments. it sounds as if you had a wonderful time.
http://randommusingsfrommypov.com

Unknown said...

How interesting. On the one hand, it's nearly shocking to me that he could be so naive, but I find it also to be almost endearing.