As you are all aware of by now, La and I watch what we eat, enjoy working out, and the outdoors. I am a soccer player; she is a long distance runner. These days it's a rare thing to find a couple who enjoy sports together and continue to do so even when they have a newborn. We want to pass our love for health and nutrition onto our offspring... Anyway, La and I have been re-reading Don Colbert's book, The Seven Pillars of Health, and it keeps challenging us to take our fitness and well being to a higher level.
The other day I was reading Colbert's book, and I stumbled upon a passage that caused me stop and ponder for a minute: "Think about this: how often are church functions centered around food? How many churches have doughnuts and coffee to raise attendance numbers for a Bible study or service? Christians often think that because they don't smoke, drink, or party, they can eat all they want! They reap what they sow in obesity, heart disease, cancer, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, reflux disease, sleep apnea, and loss of quality of life. Have we forgotten that the Bible equates gluttony with drunkenness? Check it out for yourself - Proverbs 23:20-21."
Very interesting to hear him put it that way...
Your truly,
Q
Comment from La: Believe it or not, here in Texas there are more doughnut shops than barbecue restaurants.
6 comments:
i love that quote!!
So true about church functions!! Most if not all of our events are centered around FOOD. My Mom thinks we should all go for a walk after we eat! Great post, thanks! I was hoping there would be a 'Fitness Friday'!!
Yes, drinking, smoking, and dating are sins, but "Pass the fried chicken around for another helping, brother!"
Hi Q!
I'm gonna have to check that book out. How true the passage about food at church functions is. I have a cookie and a lemonade almost every week at my Sunday service!
Wow, I need that book. I love it.
thank you! it frustrates us so much when Christians attack drinking wine, but never mention the incredible obesity rates (or nicotine addictions).
Post a Comment