Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Diaper Duty (Dootie)


Mom made this for Q. It was made to protect him from all things "nasty" Gooner might send flying his way. We love our girl, but we do know that she won't always smell, nor look like roses. Once again there has been much talk about what our daughter will look like. I think this happens with every new mother, but peeps are very interested in our "mixed" baby. A stranger asked us if we'd had our 4D ultrasound yet so that we could "see" her features early. Harumph. If she has my nose, or Q's jaw - or whatever is of UBER interest to us - BUT not enough to pay for an expensive ultrasound. Plus, I'm excited about her, and she's worth waiting for!

I must be getting big. After class I stood up, perhaps awkwardly? BUT my students thought I'd gone into labor. Um really? I guess I'm getting to that stage where everyone is afraid you are going to go into labor on his/her watch.

On a lighter note, the International students are having a really hard time with the word "zoo." For example, There are two gorillas at the zoo. Sounds like, "There are two gorillas at the Jew." So I say Zoo. They say Jew. So I write on the big white board...

ZOO

JEW

They - knowing that calling someone a "Jew" is derogatory in the states - immediately became mortified, placed hands over mouths, and muttered Jew, Jew, Jew, shew, gdew, zshoo, zchoo... Five minutes later all were confidently saying Zoo.

Another one. Today we learned the word crept. I asked if anyone knew what this word meant... One kid raised his hand, "Oh I know... Americans use all the time. Holy Crap!"

Um, no; don't say it again.

4 comments:

The Mommy said...

I love Kweku's Gooner protection!
Your baby will be beautiful!! With Maggie's 4D ultrasound we could tell that she had full lips. With this baby, I just thought it looked like a blob with eyes. It's worth the wait!

katie said...

great story about the international students!

Unknown said...

Haha!! That's hilarious.

Unknown said...

That's hilarious.

I am proud of the Kweku protection.

It's especially awesome when you are out walking or jogging. People will literally put the breaks on out of courtesy so you don't go into labor in front of them. I've never seen such kindness to a pedestrian before... or since.