Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Count Down

Oh yes, we have been counting the weeks. Our countdown was slightly less visible than THIS countdown, witnessed by Kweku and I while in Lexington preparing to wed.



Today, after 6 scorching weeks, I walked into an air conditioned apartment. Back in the day, when I was a young girl, I used to think living in the "Old West" or in "Victorian Times" - while reenacting Laura Ingalls Wilder in her sod huts - was AMAZING! As I aged, I realized exactly how much I appreciated modernity; washing machines... I washed clothes by hand in Russia... and AC... living without it in George Washington's favourite swampland, Virginia.



And apparently I was a true wanderer. Fraud alert called me. In order to verify ME I had to answer a few questions. HA! Apparently I failed to be me as none of the street names seemed familiar. "Ma'am are you sssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee you never lived in *********** county?"

Me: "Nope. Wait. Yup, I did, for one month."

2 comments:

Meghann said...

last summer we lived in a 100 year old home with no central air while we were looking for a farm (we still live in a 100 year old home, but it has 2 central air units--one for each floor! yea!). I had grand delusions at the beginning of the summer of going earthy and not putting in any window units the whole summer. I lasted until the 100 degree heat. If it hadn't been for the kiddos, it might have worked--but the heat made everyone cranky and it was a bad combination.

Unknown said...

I'm just glad you don't live with rats anymore.