
When I was a child my Grandma was very sick with MS. Since she was paralyzed she always drank juice with a straw that had a scrunchy part so that the straw could bend 90 degrees. Well, as a small girl I was always afraid of such straws. Somehow I thought I might catch MS or something. Anyway, for most of my life and into my adult years I have avoided these straws like the plague. They make me think of illness, pills, and wheelchairs. I prefer a straight straw IF I have to use one. Anyway, I ordered my peach nestea like normal and the lady handed me a bendy straw!!!!!!!!!!!! A bendy straw??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why, I can't use a bendy straw! Even as I cracked the top of my can and my straw plopped into the tea the apprehension began a quick ascent up my arm. The straw floated for a moment before it filled with liquid and fell to the side at an ablong tilt. Even as I sat staring at it, thirsty for a drink, I knew it was time to drink through the bendy straw. And I did.
2 comments:
Good for you, sweetheart! Sometimes, it's the little victories.
Angie
Way to be brave, dear. I actually love bendy straws. They were always the special straws instead of the boring straight ones. I guess it's your experiences that mould you.
Clarissa
Post a Comment