Monday, October 16, 2006

A Web of Mystery


If you ask about church, no one knows anything. It is a big mystery and one that took me forever to unwind. I've spent over a month churchless because I didn't know where to go. Finally I said something and somebody asked me if I was a Christian. And I said yes. So I found out about a Church.... So I went. Yesterday was my first day of Church in Istanbul, wahoo! You'd never know it was there if you drove by, or even went inside, and I think that is the point. Apparently Americans + Christians = Bombs... Or so I've been told; we shall see. But now I have more churches to try because I've found the "network." I'm quite excited about this. My row at church looked like this England, Me (America), Nigeria and Korea. Exciting huh. I'm not sure any Turkish people were present, but does that suprise you? I lot of missionaries just serve the expat community, and being an expat I greatly appreciate them. Nobody carries Bibles. I'm from the generation where in youth group I was pumped to carry around my Bible at school so that I could have it on my desk so everyone knew that "I'm a Christian." It isn't like that here. I didn't bring my Bible and I was quite relieved in a way to see, upon arrival at the church, that noboday had a Bible. It wasn't until the man said, "And God said in 2 Samuel..." that Bibles began appearing from all places. Purses, bags, pockets, you name it, everyone had One but me. The moral of the story is put your Bible in your bag and go to Church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting experience. How different from Russia, too! I'm so glad you found a network or people, though. I really miss church when I have to work during the summer. That's going to change though! Hooray for us and church!

Clarissa

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I forget to tell you that I am still your most amazing friend even if I don't learn to belly dance...!