Sunday, October 1, 2006

The Sounds of Tukey


Last night I attended the Symphony with Aysegul and Mert. Wow, was it amazing! First off we were in the 3rd row which was FABULOUS! I really anjoy watching the stringed instruments. Secondly, almost every song had a different specialist playing Turksih instruments. The sounds coming from these instruments were like none I have ever heard before. One man played a bagpipe and I loved it. Plus we were so close that I was able to watch his breathing and the way he played. One man played a crazy looking guitar type thing and I loved the sounds. Then on the way out we all received a FREE copy of the same production perfromed in Brussels Germany. At one point they played an old Uskudar song and the whole room erupted in song. Wow, it was so romantic! (When I take the ferry to work I dock in Uskudar on the Asian side) At one point a violinst flung his bow into the crowd by accident and the second chair violinist broke 3 strings. They performed 4 encore songs! Crazy and insane. The concert didn't start until 9:15 so when the final songs were being performed around midnight I REALLY wanted to sleep. The chairs were so comfy and the music so brilliant. THEN, the three of us got a TERRIBLE case of the giggles. We laughed and laughed and we were forced to slink down into our seats in embarrassment! The laughing ALL started when Aysegul and I went to the bathroom. Although many women were waiting in line, the bathroom was silent and THEN in one magnanymous roar a lady let out a HUGE LONG fart. It was impressive and I coudln't help but laugh, and neither could Aysegul. The Turkish woman behind me glared down her nose at me, but it didn't matter. In the silent room the toot fairly echoed. hahaha, what a sound. And then later one of the French horns in one of the songs made this fart sound. That set us off in the middle of the show! hahaha, I laugh now just thinking about it. Like maybe she could have been a guest soloist or something. She could have had her own microphone and squatted with percussion. hahaha I better stop now... I'm sure my Mom is reading this and feeling embarrassed. Yes, she did raise me better than this, but I'm in Istanbul and well, I can't help but laugh at a toot in a silent room.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Okay, I know your mom raised you better than that, but I also remember some crazy times with your dad and the rest of the guys in Gospel 4. Nothing more needs to be said.

And yes, I was giggling at your re-telling of the whole sordid, stinky tale!