" Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food." Hippocrates, Father of Medicine
The Gall Bladder Diet
After my second gall bladder attack, that landed me in the emergency room, I conducted copious amount of research. I even wrote a morose post about how this made me feel, how my life would change. Would I ever drink coffee again? Pork was clearly a thing of the past, and oranges? I felt that life as I knew it was changing. How many posts have I talked about coffee, rotisserie or something I've concocted in the kitchen? And, like I ALWAYS do, I went straight to the blog and vented to all my "girlfriends." Blog friends are AWESOME. For one thing, you don't know ALL my faults - you just accept me at face value - expecting not much in return. To an extent we all assume that when surgery happens, we are attacked by female insecurity, want to lose weight or cut our hair, that our bloggo friends will come to the rescue and tell us what we need to hear. That we are perfect the way we are, that despite our mishaps we are excellent mothers and that though I'm losing an organ, my life will be completely wonderful - eating whatever I want - although I should be smart with Mexican cuisine.
I was SHOCKED by the amount of readers who commented or sent emails stating that I can eat whatever I want. Or to be honest, real life friends who told me to relax, that loads of people lose their gall bladder and can eat WHATEVER THEY WANT. Some said I should take a fiber pill to firm things up and that I could truly can eat whatever. Or that getting my gall bladder out would have zero affect on my life and that I WOULD feel better and that I was all an about over reacting. I was shocked, but didn't stray from the diet until I met with my Dr. post op for his words on my diet.
In his words. The function of the gall bladder is to administer bile to the intestines to aid in digestion. When you take this away the liver must work overtime. One who has a gall bladder removal MUST eat a low fat diet with NO PORK, little egg yolks, only whole grains... If you over tax your liver and eat a high fat American diet you will destroy your liver and digestive track leading to colon cancer and liver cirrhosis. He said you CAN eat take out in moderation. He said coffee and caffeine was no problem. Oranges and citrus are ok. and lalalala. My take away - EAT LOW FAT.
What happens For ME? I haven't had "searing diarrhea" as I was afraid would happen. I've enjoyed my French Press coffee almost EVERY day, but I will moderate that; I've just been excited with a little bit of freedom. If I DO have a higher fat meal I get terrible stomach cramps. Q and I don't go out to eat much, but if we DO I need to make good choices. This is a total learning process and if I make a mistake I pay with stomach cramps. Even if I didn't have stomach cramps, I would to stay away from fat. It isn't good for me anyway. I'm learning which types of meat I can eat. Red meat I should eat a maximum of once a week. I've been eating a salad every day in order to increase my vegetable intake. I'm finding this exciting. It is what I should already have been doing. Q and I are planning a colon cleanse here soon and I'll keep you up to speed on how that goes. I wanted to wait until I was finished breast feeding, and Q wanted to wait for me. We will probably head to Whole Foods here soon and I'll document my fast. I know you are all just DYING to continue reading about my digestive health, BUT my goal would be that in reading about my journey, I might be able to encourage you to care about your health as well!
14 comments:
You're absolutely right, this is how you (and ALL of us!) should probably be eating anyway! I had celiac growing up (couldn't eat any gluten), and that was the same thing - simply put, just a super healthy diet. I hope that you're adjusting well (sounds like you are) and I'm really really happy that you can still enjoy your coffee...I think I love it as much as you do!
glad that you're able to eat things you desire (in moderation), and more importantly, reshaping your entire diet to lead an even healthier lifestyle!
I can't wait to read more about your digestive health...seriously.
That's great that you've been able to eat some things in moderation and be ok! I work with a woman who had her's taken out last year and she's had a lot of "problems" once she's eaten a meal. It's awful to see her feeling so bad on a daily basis.
Your doctor is right. As long as you're careful, you'll be fine. I've known people who have had gall bladder surgery, and it does take time to recover.
After an adjustment period in the way you think about food, you'll do fine. It's all about educating yourself, which obviously some of your advice givers didn't do. :)
I actually am VERY interested in this topic. I have struggled with digestive problems for about 10 years. That was/is the benefit to South Beach. It is a great way to eat. Um I was not sure about the "searing diahrea" sentence running right into the French press sentence. This might just be because I am punchy. Glad you are getting the hang of it!
I could address this post, but really I just want to tell you that I'm glad we're friends. Happy new diet! ;)
I want to eat more LOW fat too. Maybe we can start sharing recipes. I am trying to up my veggie intake (along with the fruit). Husband isn't big on the veggies (though he really likes the fruit) so that is an added challenge, but I think we are getting more on board with each other re: both areas.
And PTL that you can still have coffee!
yay I am glad that you can have some of the things you thought you might not like COFFEE! I think you are wise to be cautious. I do know with time you can get better my mom had hers our like 20 yrs ago and she doesn't experience too much greif over it. I think your right too in that is what we all should be doing to be healthy! No more fried chicken ; )! But whose stomach does that not hurt!?! I have my gallbladder and it can't produce enought bile to break all that fat down!
I try to eat lots of fiber, it seems like since I got home from the hospital I've had trouble digesting things...I don't know if it was the surgery or the fact that they put me on a liquid diet for a couple days. Heavy foods make me so sick, although in my mind I want them. I have an Activia yogurt every day and it seems to help some. I just can't have fried taters...and I'm nervous about coffee due to breast feeding although I have had a few! Maybe you should help me shop for the right foods...I think it's more of a MIND thing than anything else! When can you guys get together, I go back to work April 30-so let me know when you are free! I would love to get outta the house.
I'm glad that the restrictions weren't as terrible as you thought they would be. And it warms my heart to hear how positive you are about this. You are right - it's going to be wonderful for your health and the health of your family. Once you refocus your eating habits, it really becomes easy to crave things like veggies and fruits. And knowing that you can "splurge" occasionally doesn't hurt either!
I'm so curious about the pork thing. Why of all meats is that the one you need to avoid?
You have such a positive outlook! I love it. This is definitely something I'm interested in. I've been on the South Beach and most of my friends think I'm crazy but it's actually a great diet. Actually, I don't even consider it a diet because it's really just a healthy way of eating. Like you said, something I should have been doing anyway!
i sort of feel mislead... my doc's never told me anything about watching my diet after my gall bladder was gone. ugh! thanks for filling me in! happy weekend!
The only problems I have had are when I eat something really fatty - get severe stomach cramps and sometimes horrible poo. Hope that wasn't too much of an over share. It probably was!
Post a Comment