Wednesday, December 23, 2009

And so we went...

to the grocery store. An organic farmers market. I needed some produce to embark on my inner Giada and create Gooner some AWESOME baby food. Peeling pears, cutting pears, boiling pears... yep, she's worth it. Upon walking into the store there was a masseuse on duty. She had her elbow in the middle of a guy's back when she mouthed, quite awkwardly, "Your baby is cute." I smiled and whispered thank you. I promptly forgot about the lady as Gooner and I found the produce. About 15 minutes later the masseuse is standing next to my cart where she follows us around. She just starred at Gooner and every now and then glanced at me. It was strange. There were also swarms of an ethnicity that shall remain unnamed. BUT, they smelled of what they ate, the kids ran around unsupervised, and spoke in a language unknown to me. Clumps of whole families surrounded the green peppers. I said excuse me, but they just turned and starred at Gooner and me and turned back to the peppers. They picked up EACH pepper, rolled it around, sniffed it, decided yay or nay, and picked up another one. All this because of a sale, 3 for $1. They were taking advantage of the sale, the whole TRIBE. I was so annoyed. This is taboo; to not move when a lady and her baby want some green peppers. So greedy little hands crawled around my cart and I swatted away little fingers itching to grab Gooner's feet. It was wonderfully interesting.  I was over it. So after we FINALLY got our green peppers and other items, the masseuse, Gooner, and myself made it to the checkout. As I was heading out the door the masseuse bid us farewell, um yay. Seriously, I had NO clue what I was going to do if she followed us into the parking lot. Hmmmmmmm, I guess go back inside and call my husband. Or find the mace. I'm not above macing creepy people. Not for this gal...



12 comments:

leah @maritalbless said...

Oh my word. You always have the most interesting interactions! Insane trip!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I would've told the lady to bug off. Again, I'm mean. LOL

Nicole said...

gooner IS pretty cute! but definitely a bizarre encounter.

Sassytimes said...

Weirdos! Wow, is it possible for Gooner to get any more pretty? No, no it is not.

The Mommy said...

Sounds like a neat day!

katie said...

Whoa! You are brave and more patient than me. I have been known to run random people over with grocery carts. :)

ele said...

Gooner became every day more cute..I'm back

Unknown said...

Yikes, I don't know what I'd do if I was FOLLOWED in the store. Creepy, for sure!

Anonymous said...

For someone who has spoke of racism and bigotry as personal experience before, it was sort of appalling to read this post.

I don't have a blog, just a casual reader of yours ( admist several others). But I won't be returning.

Anonymous said...

Uh, hello.....? I am not a frequent commenter, but I can not hold my tongue. This was NOT about racism or bigotry. This was about someone who could have introduced herself and commented about your gorgeous baby and gotten to know you, rather than follow you around the store! And as for the other people in the store - they should teach their own children, and learn themselves, how to respect others and not touch other children! When moving to another culture, the respectful thing to do is to learn that culture (as in, American), not stick with your own! I'm done.

Q, La, and Gooner said...

Ahhhhhhh, thank you Mer! I think that Anonymous has never lived in another culture perhaps!? I thought about responding, but as Anonymous said he/she would not be back, I saw little point... Glad you did though!!!

Kelley said...

creepy! Glad you made it out of there safely!