Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wrong am I Not. But China Is!

I guess He Kexin really IS a lil thing and I am not getting so old. Totally unnecessary to bring in a kid to compete.

Crazy quotes from Bangkok Newspaper.

"Beijing (dpa) - Soldiers operating the huge scroll that formed the centrepiece of last week's Olympic opening ceremony had to stay hidden under the structure for up to seven hours, wearing nappies because they were not allowed toilet breaks, state media reported on Friday.

Nearly 900 soldiers were hidden underneath the scroll, many of them moving giant printing blocks with Chinese characters, the Beijing News reported.

"The performers for Chinese character parts went into the models underground at 2 pm, and after getting in there they could not come out," the newspaper quoted choreographer Han Lixun as saying."

AND

"
part of the fireworks display shown on television was actually an animation recorded in advance."

AND


"They also said a girl whose song during the ceremony won wide praise did not actually appear in the stadium and her song was mimed by another girl who was considered more attractive to foreign audiences."


On a lighter note.... I like this bench. Kweku and I spotted it while on a walk in the Capital.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, China. I suppose totalitarian, communist states where sweat shops and forced labor are the norm know how to roll out the red carpet for a dang good show. Who cares if it was all done a little underhandedly, right? I suppose the good part about it though, is that hopefully these things bring a true understanding to how the Chinese have to live... But if we're going for the country that could put on the best show with the most sinister undertones, I'd like to give Russia a fair chance on that one. I think, perhaps, Laura, having spent some time there, you would be the best judge on that state of affairs=). And, yes, that is a crazy cool bench.