Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Youth is our Future


Accounting was cancelled so I was able to experience the wonderful experience of youth group. Much to my suprise when I arrived at the church it was MOVIE NIGHT. We watched a missionary film called "At the End of the Spear" or something. Pop corn was provided and I soon realized that I was going to need liquid refreshment in order to enjoy the film; so I left for a diet coke. I returned with my DIET coke and puhsed open the youth door and was bombarded with THAT smell. It is the smell of fritos, dirty socks and unwashed armpit. Well, washed armpit, but not since that morning. And all that mixed with freshly popped and buttered popcorn. This is all happening while watching half naked men scampering around Ecuador. It was then that I realized it takes a special person to be a youth pastor. All you really need is a broken nose. I mean, they'd even brought down couch pillows from the youth room, and who knows what kinda infested bacteria smell is mutating inside that foam. It is a nesting ground for all kinds of nasty things. Much to my chagrin, the smell of dirty socks became normal and I couldn't even smell it. BUT, when I left the darkened petrie dish of a youth room, I noticed that it smelled distinctly better in the hallway.

2 comments:

Miller's Missions said...

L, Cool movie huh. They filmed that here in Panama actually and used a people group from here. The little blond girl in the movie that was one of the missionary's daughters is Laura, a 4th grader who was in Reggie's class last year and we went to the pool swimming with her yesterday. Her dad is a Wycliffe missionary with the tribe that played the part of the Indians in the movie. He said they were funny because even though they could have just talked and they would have had to make sense because no one would have understood them, they still made up their own lines and said like, you say this and then I'll say that, just so that they could have lines during the movie that made sense. It is kind of cool. They filmed it while we were here, but somehow I missed it. Tragic huh!

Angie said...

I cannot comment on the movie because I haven't seen it yet. Ironically, we own it.

Oh well. . .I digress.

Your essay on youth ministry is one that I think every potential youth director/sponsor/minister should read.

I'm saying take that dynamic, multiply it by a hot, summer mission TRIP for 36 hours and only bathroom breaks along the route from Tennessee to Arizona.

That, my friend, takes a broken nose.